In today's day and age, we hear a lot of our customers complaining about gas prices and their vehicle's fuel efficiency. While you may not drive a Prius, there are still things you can incorporate into your driving practice that can enhance your car's fuel efficiency and make that dollar go a bit farther. Here at Clarke Automotive, your local Brandon FL mechanic, we've got a few more tips for you on things you can do to increase your fuel efficiency.
1. Remove your roof rack. If you're not using it, there's no reason to drive around with it. It's great if you're going biking or skiing, but if you're commuting to work you're just throwing money out the window by making your car less aerodynamic.
2. Change your air filter. While it may be out of sight, out of mind, you still need to change your air filter on a regular basis because it is what protects your engine from ingesting dirt and dust from the air and roads. If it's doing its job, your air filter will clog up and once it clogs up, your engine will have to work much harder to pull air through it.
3. Change your oil and oil filter on a regular basis. You should be doing this regardless!
4. Consider getting new spark plugs. A rule of thumb is to change your spark plugs every 30,000 miles.
5. Have your fuel injectors removed and given an ultrasonic bath. This is the only way to ensure that they're getting properly cleaned.