Back during the good old days when gas was $2.00 (anyone remember $1.00 gas?), it was easier to ignore simple car maintenance. After all, what would it be causing you? A couple bucks here and there? Fuel efficiency matters a whole lot more now than it used to and here at Clarke Automotive, your local Brandon FL auto repair and maintenance team, we understand this. We've put together a quick list of five basics, ranked from easiest to most difficult, that can help any vehicle owner squeeze a few extra miles per gallon out of their daily driver.
1. Fill up smart. Fill up your vehicle during the coolest part of the day. With older pumps that don't have a temperature-compensating flow meter, fuel is denser when it's cool, so you actually get more for your money when you pump gas in the early AM instead of filling up at 5:30PM on your way home from work.
2. Keep your car clean! First off, wash and wax your car — it doesn't just look good, it actually lowers the wind resistance of your vehicle. No, not by much, but every little bit helps, remember? Clean out the inside of your car, too, so that you don't have any extra weight in your vehicle.
3. Check that tire pressure! Underinflated tires take more energy to push down the road so check your tire pressure often.
4. Change your air filter. By replacing your air filter annually, or biannually if you live in a dusty area, you'll ensure the engine can breathe freely. Plus, if it can breathe freely it won't burn as much fuel.
5. Replace those spark plugs, too! Worn spark plugs can't ignite the air/fuel mixture in your engine as effectively, resulting in more fuel used for a given amount of power produced.