By performing routine maintenance on your vehicle, you can decrease your chances of getting into an accident, which in turn will help keep your insurance premiums and auto repair costs low. To get your car ready for your college travels and overnight trips out of town, always bring it in to Clarke Automotive, your local Brandon FL auto repair and maintenance team. It’s common knowledge that it’s important to change your car’s oil regularly, rotate your tires, and keep your gas tank above empty. While those are all important ways to keep your car running smoothly and safely, you might be surprised at these less common maintenance practices.
1. Windshield Wipers: This is one of the most basic maintenance procedures. On average, windshield wipers should be replaced every six months to one year. You can tell it’s time when your wipers stop pushing rain or snow off your windshield, causing streaking instead of clearing the glass.
2. Lights: Turn your lights on and walk around your vehicle to ensure that they all work on a weekly basis. Be sure to take a look at your brake lights, hazards, and blinkers as well.
3. Tires: To reduce your chances of a collision, check your tire pressure and make sure that the reading on your gauge matches the threshold provided in your vehicle’s manual. You can normally find the recommended tire pressure on the inside of the driver-side door, too.
4. Brakes: Brakes should be inspected regularly by Clarke Automotive, especially after collisions, to ensure that they are operating properly.
5. Steering & Suspension: If your car “pulls” or drifts slightly to the left or right, have your car inspected by Clarke Automotive, who specializes in steering, wheels, and suspension work. Any steering system that doesn’t work properly can lead to a breakdown or a collision.